"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

All books have a place

Because Jim (almost) defensively announced he reads other stuff beside children's books, I thought I would create this post.
There is such a place for everything. In the last few years, I've tried to expand my reading experiences quite a bit. In general, here are the genres you may catch me reading:

Children's fiction
Children's non-fiction (not my first choice, but my son loves it)
Adult fiction (Chick-lit, mystery, suspense)
Science Fiction and Fantasy (this is all I used to read)
Personal development (also known as self-help)
Writing development

I think ideas can be found everywhere. In fact, I think some of my better sparks ignite when reading things other than children's books. And let's look at the facts. Nearly each and every book has had an author put in a tremendous amount of research in the writing.
In addition, I believe writing can be improved by both reading and listening to books. When listening, dialogue can be heard so well. However, small snippets of information which tie into plot line become much more obvious (maybe against the author's will) - such as give-aways of who the bad guy is.
Thoughts?

3 comments:

Biby Cletus said...

Nice post, its a really cool blog that you have here, keep up the good work, will be back.

Warm Regards

Biby Cletus - Blog

Jim D said...

I've never noticed that listening tips off the "reader" any more than reading. Do you mean the person doing the reading uses inflections because they have read further into the text and thus know what is about to happen? Now I guess I have to pay attention. Another possibility is that hearing the words offers enough additional stimuli to amplify clues that already exist. I don't have the answer, but truly an interesting question.

Like the new blog name!

PJ Hoover said...

I've noticed the give-aways a number of times. Some come down to a tiny word in the description like "his teeth filed into triangular points," and the bad guy actually turning out 300 pages later to be the shark.
Another way is when accents are used. When reading, the author can introduce a scene with dialogue but leave the speaker unidentified to create suspense. When listening, the narrator pretty much has to use the accent of the person who is speaking, and thus it gives it away.
And you're probably right on about the inflections. I'll have to start picking up on those too.