"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, April 16, 2007

The Hero's Journey and Audiobooks

I admit it - I'm an avid fan of audiobooks. I love using my time in such a great and valuable way. Previously, I've listened to The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler and loved it. Now, I've moved on to Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces. I'm about halfway through, but now I totally get why Christopher Vogler took this book and re-wrote it, although I think he should have named it The Hero with a Thousand Faces for Dummies.
Have you ever tried to audiobook thing? I listen when I drive. I listen when I exercise. Boom - right there is almost 2 hours a day.
This past weekend, I downloaded a short (10 minute) Winnie the Pooh audiobook. My kids loved it - they sat entranced both times we listened. So next, I downloaded a Curious George - because who doesn't love this curious little monkey :) I tried The Magician's Nephew a few months ago with my son (almost 6), and he wasn't hooked. I may try again, although now he's expressed some interest in listening to Charlotte's Web.

1 comment:

Jim D said...

I've done a number of audiobooks. For example books 4,5 and 6 of Harry Potter, about half of Narnia and (strange as it may seem) even a couple non-children's books (like Devil in the White City at the moment). The load nicely onto my MP3 player for walking or on CD in the car when I'm driving somewhere by myself. I have found it easier to listen to some thanks to a good narrator (HP's are very good). Of course I do still read.