"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Life Tip of the Week - Short Term Goals

When asked what our goals or aspirations are in life, many of us come up with things far out in time.

Dream House
1 Million dollars
5 kids

And these are great to have, but I think it's highly important to have short term aspirations which are achievable and will come to resolution soon. Reaching and achieving short term goals will keep you inspired, and believing in the power of goal achievement.
A good example: I want a cheap airfare to Virginia for travel in July.
There would only be 2 months to achieve this, and come July, you either achieved it or you didn't.

I think it's also important to have a mix of levels of believability in goals.
For example: learn to solve the Rubik's Cube. I knew I could do this as long as I worked on it. There was no chance involved here; it was strictly based on practicing.
But other goals rely more on the faith in the universe. For example: Receive $1000 out of the ordinary in the next month. This could very well happen to all of us, but it will take more than picking up a cube and twisting it (unless someone can think of a way I can use my Rubik's Cube skills to earn $1000 in the next month).

3 comments:

HipWriterMama said...

I'm so impressed you can solve the Rubik's Cube. I've never been able to get the whole thing solved and have always wanted to. Isn't it pathetic that I, rather the Easter Bunny, got one for 8 year old under the guise that it's for her? Now I can try for the glory. Hee hee.

PJ Hoover said...

And this is one of those "so not as hard as it seems" things that totally makes people think you are smart. But is it sad that when friends come over, I impress them with this talent?

HipWriterMama said...

Not at all. I say if you've got it, flaunt it. With modesty, of course.

You are lucky your mathematical and logical prowess is up there. I'll get there.