"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, April 02, 2007

No Internet = More Productivity?

This past weekend after a transformer blew, we were out phone, internet, and TV for over a day. And although this allowed me to get a lot done around the house (like cleaning, yardwork), my question is does this make writing more or less productive.
The obvious answer is 'more productive. No question about it.'
The not-so-obvious answer is 'less productive'.
See, I've developed a nice routine for myself. Log onto the computer. Check my email accounts. Check my blogs. Do any internet research I'm currently working on for my books, and then begin writing.
I do this routine every night, and have for years.
So the response would be 'great - now you can skip all that initial stuff and get right to the writing.' Wrong. I found it hard to get started. Almost like I was missing a critical wind-down part of my evening. I couldn't get into the writing, ended up editing a couple pages, then calling it a night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2 BLOGS???

impressive.

Carla