"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, May 18, 2007

Exercise for the Week - Photo project

OK, special thanks to HipWriterMama for her mention of this blog. And thanks for giving me the idea for the exercise of the week. It's a continuation of my Writing Tip for the week.

I once read an interview with Orson Scott Card on Magic Street. He said he's been inspired for (nearly) the whole story by a rusty drainpipe in a suburban neighborhood in California (and please excuse me if I didn't get this exactly right). He couldn't get it out of his mind, and thus, visited the neighborhood, took lots of pictures, and eventually wrote Magic Street (which I incredibly enjoyed).

So here's the exercise for the week: Go out and take a picture of something that would serve as good inspiration for a writing project. If it can be oriented in the science fiction and fantasy direction, even better (but not a requirement).
If anyone wants to email me their picture, I'll post it. And I'll post my photo on Monday.

Here, let me get you started:
1) Ready
2) Aim
3) Snap

1 comment:

HipWriterMama said...

Aaww. Thanks! This is a great idea. Hmmm. Now I've got to think. Have a great weekend!