"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Saturday, May 05, 2007

How do you start your writing time?

OK, I'll preface by saying, every evening does not start out this way :)

I write at night. Kids go to bed, and I head to the computer. And I must say that I am blessed to have two wonderful sleepers.
But some nights ...
Get both kids in bed. Sit down at computer desk. Husband comes in to talk about something. Get back to computer. Daughter calls me in to give me a stuffed animal. Go back to computer desk. Daughter calls me in again. She needs a band aid for her finger, and once I give her four choices, she decides upon Spiderman. Go back to computer. Son comes out to give me the book he's been reading. Get back to computer. Daughter calls me in again because she scratched her leg and needs another band aid. I don't give in. Daughter cries. Get back to computer. Son comes out and says his bug bite itches and needs lotion. Get lotion. Have son go potty. Get back to computer. Type this blog out of comedic frustration.
All is now quiet.
Begin work for the night.

(Just a note that my daughter did take a FOUR hour nap today, so do not interpret this post as a complaint.)

Have a good time writing!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I start my writing time after breakfast by getting back in bed with my laptop and listening to my iTunes for a little while.

Sometimes I play Freecell.

Sometimes I just think about what kind of stickers I want to put on my bike helmet.

Shawn said...

Hi, there. I basically spend all of my free time on the computer. Sad, I know. I do most of my professional writing when my girls are napping. They bless me with 2 naps still. When I'm really under pressure, I get up at the crack of dawn and stay up late ... It's so hard to be in the mood to get work done when so busy.