"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Life tip of the week - Do something for yourself

Life can get hectic. Let's face it. I make good use of my time and manage to cram quite a bit into the waking hours. Heck, my husband and I have even started listening to audiobooks as we fall asleep at night.

I find that a lot of what I do is not necessarily for "me". I work for a corporation. I take the kids to school and pick them up. I take the kids to Kung Fu, Music, Swimming. I host playdates.
But each day there are two pockets of time that are solely mine.

I exercise early in the mornings. The house is quiet. Not even the dog is barking. I love this exercise time. A few times my husband has joined me, and it just hasn't been the same.

I write in the evenings. I love my evening routine. Kids in bed. Head to computer. Check email/blogs/etc. Then get to working on whatever project I'm working on. Some might say "Don't you want to just relax sometimes?" But for me, this is the ultimate relaxation. Not even counting the fact that my bottom is sitting in a chair the whole time, I look forward to my evening all day. And funny enough, I look forward to my morning exercise also.

So I think I've got the day routine pretty much down at this point, but here's something I need to work on. Doing other things for myself throughout the week/month/year. On my birthday I headed to the spa for a massage, and while receiving said massage, I vowed to go every three months. Check back with my in July.
Other things for myself - SCBWI monthly meetings, writing conferences, lunch with girlfriends a couple times a month. Shopping at the mall at lunch.

So tell me - what do you do for yourself?

No comments: