"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, May 07, 2007

Word of the Week - Google

As a verb.

I love this word. I love using it, the way it rolls off my tongue. It makes me feel cool and hip when I say it.
Definition: to use the Google search engine to obtain information about (as a person) on the World Wide Web .
And just last year, google was added to the Oxford English Dictionary.

So here's the question. Is this word too "hip" and "trendy" to use in a manuscript? Will this word sustain the test of time?
My opinion - I think I can use it.

(On a sidenote: my son came home from kindergarten and told me that google was a very big number. Is it? I didn't find a definition on the web for this, but there have been times when his wisdom on certain things has extended beyond mine.)

2 comments:

HipWriterMama said...

Tricia,
You have a very smart boy. What he's talking about is googol, which the Google search engine is named after. Fun fact -- Google is a result of a spelling mistake.

See this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googol

PJ Hoover said...

Wow! I knew he was smart!
Thanks for the tidbit. I can certainly make this come up in office chit-chat at some point.
Funny enough, I don't remember learing about googol in Kindergarten.