"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Writing Tip of the Week - Consistency

I write basically every night. There are a few exceptions here, such as when I go on vacation, but in general, its every night. Kids go to bed. I head to the computer.

My personal suggestion:
Work on your writing every day of the week.
Even if it's only for an hour. Even it you aren't even writing prose. Plan. Outline. Research. If you're extra sleepy, just do something for a little bit. Read an article on writing craft before you get into bed.

Has anyone read Stephen King's On Writing? Remember when someone asks him how often he writes and he answered, "Every day except my birthday and Christmas." He went on to say, "This was a lie. I even write on my birthday and Christmas."

I heard a quote somewhere (and I can't remember the source), but it went something like this:
There is almost no goal you cannot achieve if you devote one hour each day to it.
One hour. Not much at all. Cut out a TV show. Get up one hour earlier. Stay up one hour later. Because one hour every day adds up quick, and before you know it, you'll have a manuscript to submit.

2 comments:

HipWriterMama said...

This is a great tip. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

youre so right


and more than that you ALWAYS STICK TO IT

Carla