"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Writing Tip of the Week - Inspiration


I read science fiction and fantasy (not solely, but for the sake of majority, let's just go with it). I write science fiction and fantasy. They fit together very nicely.

Looking for things which build up characters and worlds is a fun game to play. Inspriation can be found anywhere.

Take for example, this recent joint creation by my six-year-old son and two-year-old daughter.


Monster that rivals the Chimera?

Genetically engineered species?

You tell me. All I know is that it has four heads (you can't see the other two from this angle), and lots of cool colors.

Now all that's left is to give it a name.

Names and words also must be discovered or created. Again, I revert to kids. The things that come out of their mouths, especially in the 2-4 year old stage, are priceless. Write down every nonsense word a kid spews. Make sure you get the pronunciation right. (Do not insert any strange apostrophes anywhere in these names.)

My final new source of writing inspiration: Force myself to change my desktop background on my computer. I've always stuck with pictures of my kids, but no more. For a week now I've had Stonehendge and already my mind is spinning.

1 comment:

HipWriterMama said...

It takes an incredibly creative mind to conjure up fantastical worlds and character names. You'll have to share what name you chose for your children's cool creation.