"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Book of the Week - A Short History of Nearly Everything

I'm listening to all 20 hours of this book on MP3, and I'm about a third of the way done.

If you haven't read it, pick up a copy of A Short History of Nearly Everything.

I know this book made some list - like in the top 10 books for guys to read. And though I'm not a guy, I'm finding it fascinating.

The book gives a great overview of
  • Quantum physics
  • Relativity
  • Energy
  • Geology

And that's only in the part I've been through. And aside from all the intelligence I'm gaining from reading it, think of the fodder for writing. There are so many ideas for science fiction and fantasy derived from real things in our world. And that fact that physicists don't know everything about the universe we live in, makes the realm of the unknown so much more believable.

2 comments:

Jim D said...

Might be a good present for my son who just graduated with a B.S. in geology and will be teaching high school physics this fall!
Jim D

P.S. And I could read it too....shhhh, don't tell him I said that

PJ Hoover said...

It would be a great present! I was thinking about it for my dad for Father's day.