"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Life tip of the Week - How to memorize something

I have a trick for memorization. A few years back I decided to memorize Kublai Khan by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
I printed out a copy and placed it in a large ziploc bag. I then taped the ziploc in the shower where I would see it every day.
By working on only one or two lines a day, I had the poem memorized in under a month.
This works well for song lyrics that you want to learn so you can sing them to your kids also. And speaking of this, have you ever noticed how well you sing when only your kids are listening. Or when no one is around? I have the best voice ever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow = I had no idea - I like to listen to songs on the drive to work - it drives my wife crazy, but I can listen to the same song for weeks (like hundreds of times) when I am trying to learn the lyrics - it passes the time away for sure - it is amazing how quickly you arrive at your destination on "auto pilot" !

PJ Hoover said...

So true! I can do the same thing, and thankfully, my kids never mind. :) They even try to learn them with me.

Carla said...

not even then can I sing well :)

C

Sara Latta, said...

If you like singing with your kids, then you will be pleased to learn that the entire text of "Green Eggs and Ham" can be sung to the "Habanera" theme from Carmen. Also, you can sing much of Emily Dickinson's poetry to the theme from Gilligan's Island. Try it with "Because I could not stop for death."

It's a lot of fun.