"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Plots and Other Predictable Things

We finished up watching The Mummy Returns last night. And before I go any further, let me preface that I love this movie. I love this kind of movie.
But throughout, my son would ask questions.
A new character came onto the scene. He filled the "comedy relief" role.
My son asked, "Is he going to die?"
"No," I said.
"Why?" he asked.
"Because the comedy relief character never dies." (OK, maybe rarely he does, but then he's nto funny anymore.)

Then the (minor but ferocious) bad guy starting fighting the good guy.
"Mommy, is that guy going to die?" he asked.
"Yep," I said.
Not a second later he got sliced open by the good guy.

Then the mom got killed.
"Mommy, is she really dead?" he asked.
"Yes," I said. "But she'll come back to life."
Five minutes later they used The Book of the Dead to bring her back to life.

How do I know these things? Because I've seen them over and over again. And I don't mind that they are predictable. It gives me a warm, comfortable place to sit back and relax.
It's like the Hero's Journey. There are roles which need to be filled. There is a basic plot structure to follow. And it works.

2 comments:

HipWriterMama said...

You are a cool, cool mom. So your children didn't get freaked out at all by this movie? Isn't this the movie where the scarab beetles immerse themselves into people's bodies?

By the way, I've got Mr. Linky set up so people can link into their favorite posts. Hope you stop by!

PJ Hoover said...

They love the grossness of the scarab beetles in people's bodies.
But you've given yourself away that you've seen it too!