"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, June 15, 2007

Research for my WIP

I've been throwing myself into my new WIP - both in outlining/writing it and in researching it.
I've mentioned it has some Egyptian elements. Here are some of the fun ways I am researching it:


1) Read Don't know much about Mythology. Great, great, great book.
2) Watched Mummies IMAX movie with my son.
3) Placed large scarab beetle on my working area
4) Going to see King Tut exhibit in August in Philadelphia
5) Going to see Egypt Treasures exhibit in September in Houston
6) Order movie three pack - The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, and The Scorpian King

7) Ordered original The Mummy five pack of movies
8) Ordered first remake of The Mummy movie
9) Bought myself a Lapis necklace.
10) Bought pretty Book of the Dead from Barnes and Noble

11) Had my mom ship me every book on pyramids she owns
12) Plan to go up Washington Monument in August
13) Watched Egypt on the Potomac DVD

OK, I wish I could say I was visiting Egypt also, but this will have to wait.
The real question is how much is necessary for book research, and how many things are just because I want to?

What ways do you research for your writing?

2 comments:

HipWriterMama said...

I'm totally with you on immersing myself into the books, movies, websites, music... It helps me get into character and into the flow of writing.

What fun you've got planned with your research. Plus the fact you can purchase some pretty things. Definitely a nice perk.

PJ Hoover said...

It really does help! Mabye it triggers more thoughts along the way. Or helps understand the characters better.
Plus I love mummy movies, and, thanks to Scooby Doo, so does my son :)