"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Tortoise Method (and goals update)

In some things in life, I act like the tortoise. And in some, I act like the hare.
Guess what.
In the tasks where I am the tortoise, my success rate is much higher.

Like writing. I write every night. Not a lot, but every night.
Copying of VHS to DVD. Two tapes a day. Every day. And soon all were done.

So this brings me back to a meme we did a while back. The 4x4 (or something like that - I can't find the link).
It went like this - Give four things you accomplished in the last four years and four things you will accomplish in the next four years.
One of my four years goals was to start taking Kung Fu. And I had in my mind that maybe I could start over my sabbatical (in September) because I'd be able to go every day.
Well this weekend, the obvious hit me in the face. Why wait until September? Why not start on Monday? It would be better to take the tortoise approach - after all, I plan on doing this for a long time. Start now. Go two or three times a week. Heck, by September, I'll have gone thirty times.

So I took my tortoise approach and started yesterday morning.

How have you been doing on your goals? Can you apply the tortoise approach to any?

1 comment:

HipWriterMama said...

That's great you signed up for the class! How's it going so far?

This hot weather is making me act like a tortoise. Yuck, yuck, yuck!