"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, June 18, 2007

What I love about museums

A recent post I read asked what people liked about libraries. It got me thinking, and then some book related research brought to mind this question.
What do you like about museums?

Here's what I like:

And this:

It's the secret, hidden places that are off the beaten path.
I think my favorite museum is the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. OK, growing up ten mintues away from the Smithsonian may have spoiled me for life on museums, though I have to say the year I lived in Chicago provided some excellent contenders. The Art Institute. The Museum of Science and Industry. The Field Museum. I think it was the Field Museum that had an entire Egyptian tomb on the ground level. Way cool. And the coal mine exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry.

What's your favorite and why?

1 comment:

Jim D said...

Yep, it is the Field Museum with the mummies. Its been a while since I've been there though, so I'm not sure of the changes. I've been to Science and Industry within the last year. We go at Christmas to see the trees decorated for each country (and see the rest too).