"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

What words are OK?

Sometimes my characters just want to say "Oh crap!" Or "This sucks."
Is this OK for middle grade (older middle grade)? Or must I look for more clever ways to say things?
I totally get (and agree) that true "bad" words shouldn't be used. But am I destined to have to write "Oh darn," when everyone (including fourth graders) know this isn't what my character would really say?

And is scrotum now officially on the OK list?

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Not knowing much about your characters, or about young lit, I can't say for sure. But, have you considered more recent slang, perhaps even street slang? What comes to mind is, "Snap!" I say this often when one of my girls does something to the other that "disses" them, like reclaims her toy, etc. I'm not hip to be cool, but I know there are lots of ways to express oneself these days. I live on the cusp of ghetto, though, so perhaps I'm used to this kind of chatter.

PJ Hoover said...

Funny! If there's one thing I'm not hip on, it's slang. Cool and awesome are about as close as we get around here!
I think I have one friend who knows cool slang (C - I'm talking about you).
And it makes a nice and funny picture to imagine your twins dissing each other :)