"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Word Count

Do you ever get caught up in the whole word count thing? Like you know a middle grade book should be 30K-50K words or something like that? So you start writing and the whole time you have this word count in your mind. And you keep track of where you are, and have no idea how you'll come up enough words? And then you're pretty sure you'll have to publish it as a novella or short story?
Or am I the only one?

P.S. Don't let the post fool you. My first draft of my WIP is going great. I just have these thoughts from time to time.

2 comments:

Jim D said...

As strange as it is, both of my MG novels first drafts clocked in just over 30,000 words -- not planned -- that's just when they were done.
From what I've seen 30,000 is just about right for MG, but would be low for YA.
Bottom line, however, you can't hit 30K (or 50K) and stop writing if the story's not finished. (But I think we all know that.)
Is there a word limit on comments....I better stop!

PJ Hoover said...

Every night I check my word count. Maybe I shouldn't do that. But Word just makes it way too convenient.