"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, July 01, 2007

The best efficiency improvement so far this year

Back in January, I set a number of goals. Call them New Year's Resolutions if you want. And so far, I'm doing ... OK.
Once resolution I made which has made my life worlds easier is this:

I clean my own house. I know, so many people have maids come in, but I have some weird issue paying someone else to do a mediocre job cleaning my house when I know I'd do a better job. But long stretches of time between cleanings made this a monumental task.
So I made a calendar.
See, my downstairs really doesn't need to be dusted more than once a month. And my kitchen counters only need to be scrubbed every three weeks.
So I listed each item, and put it on the calendar, spreading out the tasks so they didn't all fall on the same weekend.
Now my calendar tells me what to clean.
For example, this past weekend my calendar told me to wipe the stairs, vacuum the downstairs, and dust downstairs. Next weekend weekend, I wash the sheets and clean the toilets (this gets done every two weeks).
The best thing about being on top of cleaning like this is that a clean house is much easier to keep clean. If I don't dust for four months, I have to scrape dust off the furniture. If I dust every month, a swipe with my electrostatic duster more than does the job.

Once I finish a task, I highlight it on the calendar to mark it as complete - giving me the nice sense of completion.

So, if you're like me on the cleaning front, try the calendar.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just fired my cleaning lady, so I may need your calendar system!
N

HipWriterMama said...

You and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to cleaning. That's a great idea putting it on the calendar. I'll see if this helps me. Thanks!

And by the way, you won a copy of Tex & Sugar! Congrats!

Christine M said...

I like that idea - now if I can just get organized enough to put it all on the calendar!

PJ Hoover said...

I love my cleaning calendar and would be more than happy to share!

Shawn said...

I think it's a great idea. I would love a housekeeper, but am sure I would spend more time preparing for the visit than I should. Plus, you're right, hired help wouldn't do the job I want. I think your idea is brilliant -- it's a lot like FlyLady's idea, but customized. I love FlyLady, but have always stopped.