"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, July 05, 2007

I am spellbound by this book

OK, maybe I'm the last person to read it, and I'm not quite done, but I can't put down Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Can I say amazing? Does the second book live up to the first? And a third coming out next month.

Here's why I think it's great. The book is written for YA; the protagonist is I think 17. And I'm 37. Twenty years difference, and when I'm not reading the book, all I'm doing is thinking about reading the book. I want to be the main character, and that's amazing to me.

And here's my question. Are books whose ending are not always happy better? I'm willing to bet many of them are at least more memorable. Kind of like Titanic (the movie). I remember watching that and being sad for a week after because I wanted Leonardo and Kate to be together. But they weren't. And that makes an impact.

1 comment:

HipWriterMama said...

OMG, OMG, OMG. Twilight is unbelievable with a capital U. It totally draws you in. Tension, drama, very Romeo and Juliet. I cannot wait for book #3.