"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The difference a letter makes

So my 6-year old (1st grader) was doing his homework yesterday afternoon. First grade homework is far from challenging. The goal is to get them in the habit of doing it. The assignment of the day:
Write five words from the "at" family.

So he starts writing.
Bat
Chat
He then asks if he can write ratattat. I say sure, though I'm unsure of the spelling.
Fourth we have Cat.
He then asks if he can write "fat" even though we call this a bad word (the last thing I want is for him to get in the habit of referring to people this way.) But I say sure - it is a valid "at" word and perfectly fine for the assignment. And so he asks,
"Does it start with an "f" or a "ph"?"


After I stopped laughing, I attempted to explain the difference between fat and phat to my 6-year old. But then we looked online and found that indeed phat is in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. He chose to got with fat as the fifth word.

1 comment:

HipWriterMama said...

He's already has a good ear for letter sounds...he's on his way for good spelling!