"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

How do you brainstorm?

I spent a lot of time on my new WIP ahead of time - plotting, character development, etc. But then during rewrites comes the time when changes need to be made. There was a problem and I needed a solution. But not just any solution. A clever one. A creative one. An original one.
First I went and asked my hubby about it. OK, now it's out in the open. I've vocalized it.
Then I went back to the computer and started a fresh Word document just typing. I put down my questions I needed to answer. I put down any and every idea in my mind.
Then hubby came out and brought me a CD to listen to. Something he uses while studying to help him focus. But there's a special part for creativity. So I put it on. I looked through some books. I typed some more. But most importantly, I spent the time doing it.
And then it came to me. An original and creative idea.
I'm not saying it's perfect, but for right now, it will do.

So I'm curious, how do you brainstorm?

3 comments:

Shawn said...

Hi there!

Congrats on your great idea. Music definitely helps me along with just a nice blank notebook and a pen. I write words, scribble, doodle, draw pictures, arrows, whatever until something finally lifts the veil over my eyes so I can see more clearly.

Jim D said...

One of my favorite "tricks" is interviewing my characters one by one. You know, hey Mr. X, why did you act that way. Then in the next interview hey Mr. Z, what's up with Mr. X??? Obviously, this doesn't cover every type of situation, but where applicable it can have great results.

Once a character told me how to keep a grandfather clock from running without any signs of tampering (and have a quick easy fix for the problem too!). Hmmmm -- is talking to fictional characters a sign of mental instability???

Barrie said...

I write the problem inside a circle in the middle of the page. And then I draw more circles all connected by a single line to the center circle. In each bubble, I write an idea that is somehow connected to the center circle. Works like a charm.

I also think while doing mindless tasks, like putting on laundry.

I do NOT use excel to help me solve problems. Ha! Ha! Thank you again!!