"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Things Kids Say #1

Kids say what's on their mind. That's all there is too it.
Take Friday. I went to the elementary school to have lunch with my son (first grade). It's the first time I've been this year, and there are many classmates I've heard about but never met. So I get in the lunch line with him, and he's hanging with this little boy. We'll call him Keith. I'm about to say, "Hi, Keith. It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you." Or something like that. But just as I get the "Hi" out, I notice Keith is pointing to his teeth and mumbling something.
"What?" I say.
Mumbles again.
By this time, I'm sure he's telling me I've got a big piece of spinach in my teeth.
"What?" I say again. If it is spinach, I want to know and get it out before I get to the lunch lady.
Finally I hear him. "Do you really have four fake teeth in front?" ***
I start laughing, and confirm to him that yes, I actually do have four fake teeth in front.
He continues on to relay the entire story of how I came to get my four fake teeth in front. I guess this is something my son is proud to mention about me at school. My son thought I'd be upset, but I assured him it was fine to share the story of my four fake teeth. Maybe I should have him re-enforce the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet while doing so.

--

*** The four fake teeth are crowns that I have as a result of taking on an SUV face-first while on my bicycle.

2 comments:

Barrie said...

Yikes. And of course you know we'll all be staring at your teeth when we meet you. :)

HipWriterMama said...

Your son must think you're the absolute coolest. No wonder he loves to tell his friends about this.