"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, October 28, 2007

To-Do Lists

I'm all about to-do lists. Anyone who knows me well enough knows this. At home. At work. By my computer. Everywhere, I make lists. Things I need to do. Things I need to buy. Daily lists. Weekly lists. Yearly lists. If it can be listed, then it's on there.
I never thought much about this. It's something I've always done. My husband has from time to time verbally admired my lists and even gone so far as to make his own. But I never realized the true meaning of "teach by example" until my 6-year old son grabbed a piece of paper and a pen the other night at dinner.
It was a regular night. My 3-year old daughter wouldn't eat her dinner and was dancing around doing what we so fondly call "the poop dance", all the while insisting she didn't have to go to the bathroom.
So my son started his list.

1) Make Sister Poop.
2) Make Sister Eat dinner.
(Neither of these ended up in too much success, so he went on).
3) Get Sister strong.
(At this point, he proceeded to lead her in an entire exercise regime - Jumping jacks. Toe touches. Sit-ups. Sprinting.)
4) Get Sister Smart.
(This lead to him playing Freddie Fish computer game while she watched and "helped").

The items are cute. But the display is astounding to me. My 6-year old made his first To-Do list. See - they do mimic what they see at home :)

2 comments:

Barrie said...

I'm a huge list maker. As was my mother. As is one of my sisters. Perhaps there's a genetic component too?! Your kids sound adorable. And, totally true, my 7 y.o. made a "Pop Quiz" list today. It consisted of all her favorites. Like Favorite TV Show, Favorite Food, etc.

Shawn said...

That is so cute! A list maker, clearly, in the making.