"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What's in a name?

Do you ever wonder what your life may have been like had you been named something else? Would you be the same person you are today? Have the same job? The same spouse? Live in the same city?

I'm a firm believer that a name helps form our lives. What if a name is unique? Easy to remember? Does that make you a contact who will never forget you? Maybe that contact gets you a job because they remember you so well?
Maybe your name starts with the letter L, but if it had started with an N, you might have been placed next to someone different in a class (work with me here - let's say the teacher arranged alpha by first name). And maybe you ended up marrying that person you sat next to. Would that be different?

(I think) I was almost named Heather. It was way the "in" name back in 1970. Of course, growing up, I wanted my name to be Debbie (Debbie Boone - You Light up My Life - Anyone remember).
Anyone see the movie Heathers?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In school, LAST names totally make a difference. I used to be a "T," so I often sat in the back and next to people who were "S." Never next to the cute "E" or "M" boys or the popular "F" girl. Now I am a "C" and I occasionally get to do things first because I'm at the front of the alphabet.
N

Anonymous said...

I did always HATE my last name as it's so jewish...now I love it because of that and kinda wish E had it!

C.

Jim D said...

I remember You Light Up My Life, but not a movie called Heathers. I think the name thing is kind of an organized extention of chaos theory which is I guess a total contradiction of terms.

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

I think the gist of Heathers was that there were three girls named Heather and one which was not?
And a sidenote - My mom denied tonight that she was going to name me Heather.

Jenny Meyerhoff said...

At the baby naming ceremony for my son, the rabbi said to me "we don't choose what we are going to name our children, but discover what their names are supposed to be."

I always thought that was a really neat idea.
Jenny

PJ Hoover said...

I totally get that! My daughter's name chose her!