"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cliches and Kung Fu

Cliches do get knocked so bad in writing. But I think about how much we use them in every day life. And similes. And metaphors. One goal for this year is to train myself to think with more creative comparisons.

But I had a laugh this morning in Kung Fu when learning some new material. See there are like a million different things to learn. You got sparring, short katas, long katas, street techniques, self defense techniques. The list could go on and on and on.

There's the John Travolta Self defense move.
The drunken cowboy punch.
The bar fight stance.
The Bruce Lee bouncing punches.
The chicken kick.
The Tudor House jab.
The grapevine.

Ok, the list could go on.

What I especially want to get better at are my size comparisons. The rock was as big as a beach ball might kind of convey the size, but there's no life to the statement. I want a funny comparison. A witty comparison. And a unique comparison.

5 comments:

Jason said...

I love writing like that. Writing like stands out so much more; it's so much more colorful than just saying "sticky as gum."

I love your move list.

HipWriterMama said...

Those must be some interesting kung fu moves!

PJ Hoover said...

So, Jason, do you have a good comparison for a rock as big as a beach ball?

Vivian, Kung Fu is full of interesting moves. My son enjoys laughing at me as I swing the nanchuks around.

Anonymous said...

as an over inflated volley ball gabby reese would never use?

:)

Carla

PJ Hoover said...

Good one, Carla. I think this would be a perfect description. Do I need to credit you in the acknowledgments?