"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, January 18, 2008

It's not like it's planning a wedding or something

The past meeting I had with my editor, we talked about what day I wanted to have my book release party, what kind of party I wanted, etc.

OK, when I got married, I planned for a year. In retrospect, this seems outrageous, but things had to be reserved ahead of time. And, heck, the Catholic Church doesn't even let you get married unless you go to them six months ahead of time, and then, if that's all it is, good luck on getting the church that day. And then there's the reception. And the photographer. Trust me, the list goes one.

So what goes into planning a book release party? I decided I wanted to do something big (as opposed to small at my house), so we're going to have it at BookPeople (hopefully), the big indi bookstore here in town. I'm thinking now I need to start heading to every release party I can and seeing "how the cool people do it". I think Libba Bray is there this weekend. Or maybe she already was. And this summer there're having the big Rick Riordan party. Of course, it's going to be in the parking lot and probably spill out into the street. Maybe I can get such a turnout?

The last party I planned was my daughter's three year. We had a turtle, a frog, a scorpion, and two snakes. Oh, and a tarantula. (Herpeton in case you're interested in booking your own party). Would something like that work? :)

One thing I know is that in Texas, no party is without a pinata and a large stick. Now to come up with a design for an Emerald Tablet pinata.

11 comments:

Christine M said...

What fun things to have to worry about! Wheee! Enjoy.

PJ Hoover said...

Do you think I could wear a poofy white dress?

Jim D said...

Poofy white dress??
I thought you always wore the pink with black dots we see in the picture.

But....maybe since CBAY is the edgier BTP books.....

:-) Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

Which cracks me up because there is nothing "edgy" about ET. Now the third book in the trilogy may have some controversy. We can only hope.

And true, my avatar does dress cute, doesn't she?

Rebecca said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog.

I had seen the info about your book on the CBAY website. I look forward to reading it!

HipWriterMama said...

No poofy white dress. You've got to dress like an Egyptian princess.

Too bad you can't see if you can rent out space in a museum...and it had an Egyptian exhibit, it would be perfect.

Good luck with planning! What fun!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Rebecca! Have fun with your writing!

And Vivian, when the T book comes out, I'm thinking the Smithsonian would be the perfect place for the party!

Barrie said...

After you've thrown yourself the perfect launch party, could you come out here and do mine?

PJ Hoover said...

Sounds like an invitation! Can I wear the poofy white dress?

carla said...

IM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!

Carla

PJ Hoover said...

Does that mean you'll come?