"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Why I Love Babe

We watched Babe the other night for the first time in years. Every time I watch it, I can see how it won best picture.
Babe tells the story of a cute little piglet. He learns to make a home at the farm where he lives. But though he's cute, it's the farmer who really steals the show in my opinion.
There's the dance scene when Babe is sick. The farmer's wife isn't home, and he starts dancing giving it everything he has. So awesome.
And then there's the fact that he believes in himself and in his pig. He doesn't let people laughing at him stop him from what he knows he can do. He finds a way around the rules, and wins in the end.
I get a tear in my eye every time I see this movie. OK, I get lots of tears.

I have to mention my kids didn't take their eyes off it. My son (now 6) is shocked that the poor mommy pigs are going off the the slaughterhouse. My daughter (3) has no clue. She jsut likes the talking animals.


And just a sidenote since I'm talking about movies. Did you see there's a new Mummy movie coming out this year? Not until August 1st (which is Egyptian New Year by the way). But it's going on my calendar now!

6 comments:

TJBrown said...

Love Babe. Love the mummy movies:)

Love the farmer... except I saw him in a show where he was the bad guy.... LOL blew me away.
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

I love the mummy movies too and am "encouraging" my kids to do the same :)
Six-year-old boys love scarab beetles eating people!

Sheri said...

I have to say, Babe is one of my favorites too. There is a line from that movie I always use... "That'll do Pig, That'll do." I don't know why, but I always loved when he said that to Babe. AND THEN when that line was in the first Shrek... Shrek says, "That'll do Donkey, That'll do." I loved it! I was validated right there in the dark, that I wasn't the only one who loved that line.

PJ Hoover said...

Yes! I loved the Babe reference in Shrek. Shrek is loaded to the gills with this kind of stuff, which makes it one of the greatest movies also.

Rebecca said...

I've only seen Babe once, and yes, it was darling!

I, too, am looking forward to seeing the new Mummy movie. Though I was sad to read that Rachel Weisz (did I spell her name right?) won't be in it.

PJ Hoover said...

She won't??? Oh, must google this.