"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, February 03, 2008

I interrupt this program ...

... yes, to tell a story about my daughter. The three-year-old. The one who's always so confident in her actions and her decisions. After today's incident, I now know it's all an act.

Subtitle: Don't try to nap with a 3-year-old around.

So I closed my eyes for ten minutes. Really. No longer. And then I started to get suspicious as my 6-year-old was right there with me listening to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, but the 3-year-old princess was nowhere to be found.
I headed out of the bedroom door, and there she is. In my office. Where she knows she shouldn't be. I head over. She's on the floor with twenty pairs of scissors scattered about. (Yes, I have the Michael's craft store scissor collection). There are index cards in shreds (no problem). And then there's my life-long favorite stuffed animal from 30 years ago (remember Gagloo Greenplatt, Mom and Dad?) on the floor next to her with his tag cut off.
"Sweetie, what did you do to Gagloo?" I ask.
She smiles. "I cut his tag off."
"Why did you do that?" I ask.
"Because he wanted me to," she says, still smiling.
I pick up Gagloo and hold him. Put on my sad look. "Sweetie, he's so sad and I'm so sad you did that," I said.
And then she crumples. Like a saltine cracker.
She starts sobbing uncontrollably and telling me how sorry she is. Sobbing. Heartbreakingly so.
So I picked her up and held her, and told her it was OK.

And then we get out the needle and thread and I sew his tag on Frankenstein style.

But now I know. Her confident "I did what I did, and that's why I did it" thing is all an act.

11 comments:

Barrie said...

You sewed the tag back on Frankenstein style? Love it! It'll be interesting to see what the princess is up to 20 years from now. :)

Sheri said...

Whenever they are quiet, be scared, be very scared!

TJBrown said...

LOL I love that age. But I'm so glad it's over!

And you were right about the title:)
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

My princess will need to be watched closely, Barrie! She's a devious one.

And I laugh, Sheri. I think it was the quiet which roused me. And she'd shut the bedroom door even so I wouldn't hear anything!

Love BOC, Teri! You? I'm thinking if they have a reunion concert, we could make it a 2k8 event!

Thanks for visiting!

Jim D said...

20 pairs of scissors......are the the cool ones that make designs when they cut??? Strangly, 4 feet behind me is a revolving rack of such scissors.......exactly 20 pairs. (my wife scrapbooks)

In fact, she's made a scrapbook of various writing event I've attended which is very nice.

As for your daughter: strange that Barrie picked "20 years from now". That would make her 23....I have 23 year old twins who at the moment are both living at home...........

PJ Hoover said...

Maybe you should hide the scissors, Jim.
And yes, they do cut cool designs :) Next Christmas, I'll get your mailing address and send you a personal stamped and cut card.

Sheri said...

I have to share...

One time when my daughters were about 2 and 3, or maybe 3 and 4... they too were quiet. I was scared. I went looking, not sure I wanted to know what they were doing. Well, actually this happened twice.

The first time I found them in the downstairs bathroom with our poor cat. At first I couldn't figure out what they were doing. And so I opened the door smiling, “What are you two up to?” Then the cat looked at me as if to ask, "WHY? Why can't you control your kids?" And that when I noticed the tufts of car fur all over the floor. They had given him a very bad, choppy fur-cut.

The second time they were quiet… I found them in the upstairs bathroom this time. (why is it always bathrooms for me?) They had discovered that if they rubbed Vaseline all over the walls, kitty litter would stick to it. And so my bathroom was literally wall papered in kitty litter floor to ceiling. That was one of those times when you just shut the door and prayed for strength and guidance. I think I kept that door shut (of course after shooing them out of the bathroom) for hours before I finally had enough strength to go back in there.
Ah, yes, those tender years. I remember them so fondly!

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, so funny, Sheri! And why is it always bathrooms? I love the kitty haircut. Why could I see my sister and I doing something like this to our poodle growing up?

Sheri said...

Guess I unlocked a repressed memory of yours... ;0

PJ Hoover said...

All I know is I can never even suggest the idea to my kids. Somehow they'd manage to get ahold of the poor Yorkie we have and help groom her!

nick anderson said...

i dont suppose you could do me a big favour and sent me a picture of gagloo could you its for a sister who had one...

nick.anderson14@lineone.net