"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, February 01, 2008

They weren't even monsters!

So they laughed at some of my jokes.

How do you greet a two-headed monster?

Hello. And Hello.

So I gave my monster talk today. About fifteen 2nd and 3rd graders. I came plenty prepared. Lots of pictures. An activity. A word search. Jokes interspersed. And a bag of lollipops.

Thoughts. An hour is a long time for 2nd and 3rd graders. Pictures are great. Asking questions is great. I had lots of talkative kids. Some were WAY into monsters. Others not so much. But overall, the multitude of Scooby Doo photos was a hit.

I went over the basics. What is a monster? What are types of monsters? Where do we get inspiration for monsters? Create a monster.
But my personal favorite was "Give your monster a catch phrase."
Vampire? "I want to suck your blood."
Headless Horseman? "I need a head."
I had fun hearing the kid's catch phrases for their monsters. And what is a catch phrase anyway but motivation. Why does your monster exist?

I also tried to get them to think about "monster flare." Where does your monster live? What clothes does he wear? Does he like to dance?

My final thought - Relate everything to Scooby Doo and Harry Potter and everything will be fine.

9 comments:

Christine M said...

Sounds like it went great! Congratulations on a job well done!

Jim D said...

So glad it went well!

Marissa Doyle said...

An hour is a long time for that age group...but it sounds like the little monsters did a great job. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, guys! I think the lollipops were a hit.

HipWriterMama said...

How fun! Sounds like a great success, as I knew it would be.

TJBrown said...

yay! I knew you would do great!
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Teri! Now if only I could make muffins at 5 in the morning.

Sheri said...

Sounds like you remembered to have fun too! Being with kids is easy, it's the adults that are scary!

Congrats on a job well done. I am sure you are thrilled it is over. Now you know you can do it again.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Sheri! And I'm already thinking of great ways I could improve upon it. I think the comparisons between mythological monsters and today's monsters was the biggest hit.