"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Total Lunar Eclipse

SUBTITLE: Random Astronomical Trivia Regarding the Moon

So Wednesday is a Total Lunar Eclipse. The last time we had one here in Austin (actually, I think it was a partial), the clouds were so thick, my kids didn't even think the moon had come up. But this one's going to be great. Check your viewing schedules, and get you and yours out there to see.

Who knew every Full Moon has a name? (OK, Dad, I'm sure you knew).
This moon we're in happens to be the Snow Moon. We've all heard of the Harvest Moon in the Fall.

I'd always heard a Blue Moon is the second Full Moon is a given calendar month. Not true. New reports show the Blue Moon to be the third full moon in season with four full moons.
And, yep, you guess it. This moon we're about to see is a Blue Moon according to this Farmer's Almanac definition.
So does that mean this is the Snow Moon and the Blue Moon?

Whatever. Get your bottoms out there and watch it!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, we will be out there if these pesky clouds clear out! Nicole

Jessica Burkhart said...

I'm definitely going to be watching! :)

PJ Hoover said...

The kids even get to stay up past bedtime!
I'll be thinking of you guys :)

TJBrown said...

We're keeping an eye on it... it's lovely.
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

Cloudy here in TX. I just went to check and this time don't see any glow behind the clouds so I'm guessing it's eclipsed.

Jim D said...

Clear (and cold) in Chicago. Have been watching from an east window. My favorite time was just before the moon was completely engulfed, because I could use the last bright glimmering edge to locate the faint image of the rest of the moon.

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

Are you trying to make me jealous, Jim?

Jim D said...

Tell me what today's high temp was in Austin and we'll call it a draw.

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

(Tricia smiles)

71

Sheri said...

Hey PJ,
We saw it and it was awesome (and I don't mean that in the modern day sense of the word). It made me wonder about early man and what he thought when he looked up and watch the moon become blackened. But I have to say, a solar eclipse must have been far scarier for them. (Is scarier a word??? I don't think so, but I'm sticking with it. I'm in that kind of mood! :))

PJ Hoover said...

I agree, Sheri, it must have been amazing. The Egyptians thought a snake god was eating the sun (I think).