"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Defeat is in the Eye of the Beholder

And yes, I am the beholder of a brand new dryer. I tried. I really did. It was the snap and the puff of smoke that came out of the motor on the old one that pushed me over the edge. It had a good life. Fifteen years. I'm willing to let it go to dryer heaven.
But here's my question. I took it apart and have this big dryer drum in the middle of the living room. Seems like there should be a good use for this. Table base? Playset addition? Any ideas?

Highlights of the day (besides the new dryer) consisted of the Austin SCBWI monthly meeting. Brian Anderson (awesome author of the Zack Proton series) spoke on "Lessons from Film Writing." If you haven't checked out the Zack Proton books, you should. They're like a more educated and older Captain Underpants. (OK, he'd probably shudder at this description.)

Also, on our trek to Fry's to buy the new dryer, I picked up Michael Jackson's Greatest Hits Music Videos. It's been on my list for ages, and, really, it's just as great as I remember. Thriller. So cool. Beat it. Billy Jean. And Do You Remember the Time. The kids loved it (though they did cover their eyes during the zombie parts).

Up for tomorrow? Install new dryer.

18 comments:

Christine M said...

Have fun with the new dryer. I'm not sure what you could do with the old dryer drum. Though - you're right - there does seem like it should have some fun use.

PJ Hoover said...

Sleep on it, Chris, and when you wake up with a great idea, email me :)
Giant flower pot? Fountain? Wishing well?

Jessica Burkhart said...

I love Thriller. :)

PJ Hoover said...

It was great, wasn't it, Jessica?
And Michael Jackson was like the leader of the music video revolution.

Dawn Buthorn said...

It's funny how we'll drop everything if the washer or dryer stops working in order to make it work again! Nothing's worse than laundry piling up!
I have no idea what to do with the dryer drum, but if you can come up with something good, maybe you can include it in a story!
Oh, and MIchael Jackson was the best!

PJ Hoover said...

Hi Dawn! I know on the dryer thing. Even my husband suggested we go shopping and buy a new one. His comment? "It won't be long before we start really needing that dryer."
Hmmmm. Dryer drum. Story idea. I will definitely keep this in mind!

Jim D said...

The story sounds pretty hummdrum.

:-)

PJ Hoover said...

Whoa! Giant mental eye roll, Jim.

TJBrown said...

If I knew what to do with a dryer drum, I would do something with the huge blue barrel my son drug over from the neighbors house! HA!
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

Darn, Teri. I'm coming up empty on this one. Although your blue barrel gives me an idea. I could paint a design on it.
Hmmm... Thinking...

Sheri said...

Wow! You're a woman of many talents.

Just today... as my dryer chirped away - it's become very squeaky in its old age... my husband and I were saying we really need a new dryer. But I hate the expense!

PJ Hoover said...

And, you know, Sheri, when we went shopping, I oohed and aahed over the nice red Samsung front loader washer/dryer set. So pretty.
But, you know, how much better would my life be with the fancy ones?
We opted for the inexpensive GE model. No fancy computer controls. No ultra-cool cycles. Big (7 cu feet).
And best of all - NO SQUEAK!

Anonymous said...

You are such a Jedrziewski!
Up on the roof replacing drip edge on this end.
Anna

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Anna, I think it is something in the blood. I can't help but take stuff apart.
Except cars.
Have fun on the roof!

HipWriterMama said...

This cracks me up. Do the kids take things apart too?

As for dryer drum uses...a giant colander/strainer? Spray paint it a cool color and add a funky table top for the kids' playroom. Or use it as a cool stool. A laundry hamper. Secure it on the side and create a little running wheel.

PJ Hoover said...

Good suggestions, HWM. Summer project. I like the cool stool/table, although the running wheel is a good one.
My daughter only wants to cut everything open with scissors, and my son is way into hammering nails into boards.

Shelley.Livaudais said...

Assuming it still spins: add a little padding, and....instant roller coaster!

Otherwise, use the drum as a planter.

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Shelley! I'm thinking the planter will win. Over on Jollyville today I saw some planters that looked EXACTLY like dryer drums!