"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Just when I'm starting to feel like an author...

First off, special thanks to Kinkos. Not only did I manage to get free business cards printed up there, the woman helping me couldn't have been nicer (and more helpful), and another employee starting asking me about my book, showed excited interest, and promised to buy. So I gave him a business card. Yes, I feel famous. OK, not really, but it's still kind of cool.

It's funny how when you start to hand out bookmarks and business cards, people start to realize that not only have you talked about writing a book, you actually have one coming out. On the way out of the book fair today, another mom stops me and asks all about it. She talks about how her son will love it. Coworkers mention it in the hallway. My boss jokes about how well written my self-assessment is (I removed all passive voice and gave concrete examples of how great I did this year).

Anyway, so then I get home and proceed to put some newly printed business cards in my purse.
"What are those?" my son asks.
"Business cards," I say.
He sighs. "You're not famous, Mom."

OK, thanks for that. It's good to have kids. They keep everything in perspective.

10 comments:

Christine M said...

LOL - kids really do have a way of keeping us grounded, don't they?

Patty P said...

I'm so excited for you. Actually, I'm thrilled that I actually know of someone getting a book published. So cool!!!
Looking forward to reading it.

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Chris! Kids are all humbling.

Thanks, Patty! Soon it will be your book getting published! Our critique group rocks :)

Jim D said...

As far as I'm concerned, you are famous.

And as for our critique group -- it rocks and I have to be one of the luckiest writers around to be included. :-)

On the subject of kids keeping us grounded: one of my sons promised he WILL read what I write if I ever get published. I'm not positive if he's hoping that does or doesn't happen.

PJ Hoover said...

Funny, Jim! He will read it and he will love it! We do have a great group, don't we?

carla said...

oooooh

keep Z away from my fragile ego :)

C.

HipWriterMama said...

Love this story. I have a feeling your son will be impressed with all the people asking for your autograph!

And I agree about our critique group. It is awesome!

PJ Hoover said...

Carla, let's keep Z around to toughen up both our egos!

HWM, my husband and I laughed about this story til we cried. So funny. Just the way he said it was hilarious.

Sheri said...

You'll always be famous to us, your fans in bloggerworld!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Sheri! Can you talk to my son?
If he wonders on my "cool" factor at the age of 6, what will he think at 14?