"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Something fun from Middle School

Except when I was in middle school, it was Junior High. And it was only 7th and 8th.

I dug this out and scanned it in to put on the get in touch page of my website.


It's the cover for an English project from 7th grade. I loved my 7th grade English teacher. And he thought I was talented. I still remember I wrote a poem which he read aloud to the class. I wish I still had it, but at his point, I only remember the first two lines:

A tiny shrew named Sammy came from his home one day.
He smelled blood from a human, and the sun let out a ray.


Genius, I know. :)

3 comments:

Sheri said...

I have no idea why, but it reminds me of one of my favorites when I was a kid - although I think I was in elementary school and not middle school - Free to be You and Me - oh yeah! the you and me - duh!!! I am a little slow today - my cappuccino machine is caput!

Anyway, it was with Marlo Thomas and a bunch of other famous people from the 70's singing songs and doing skits. I loved it! I wore my LP - yes an LP - and my needle down to a scratchy background noise.

I loved Marlo Thomas! "It's ok to cry.... crying takes the sad out of you... It's ok to cry... it might even make you feel better. Raindrops from your eyes..." I might remember lyrics from a song 30 somewhat years ago, but I can't remember what I had for breakfast!

Sheri said...

Oh, hey! I forgot to tell you (see I really have no more short term memory!) I read your interview. It was great! Congratulations! And I can't wait to buy your book. Wish I could get a signed copy!!

PJ Hoover said...

I so remember the Free to be You and Me, which is possibly where my teacher got the idea for the You and Me booklet.
How we remember lyrics is mind boggling. Seriously. How do those random things stay in our minds? But my kids think I'm cool when I can sing along to so many thing, and when my hubby and I both remember some silly jingle from TV advertising 35 years ago.

And thanks on the interview! You're so sweet! We will definitely arrange something on the signed copy.

And nice new picture, BTW!