"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Squeaky Wheel

Which wheel gets the oil first?

I have squeaks in my life.
My car is squeaking when I apply the brakes. My friend thinks it's the accessory belt.
My dryer is squeaking when I turn it on. Two days ago it was fine. Yesterday it was not.

So here's the question? Which one will I fix?

If you guessed the dryer, you're right. Within ten seconds, I'd googled "squeaky dryer" and found hundreds of websites detailing exactly which screws to remove and where to spray the WD-40. And, really, there's not much to lose here. The dryer is fifteen years old.

Cars are messy. There's oil and grease and metal parts tucked behind metal parts tucked behind belts and hoses and stuff. Plus they have wifi at the auto garage.

8 comments:

Christine M said...

It's good that you have your priorities straight! (our dryer is 20 years old - I thought it had dried it's last this summer, but a few replacement parts - and it's good for another 20 years)

PJ Hoover said...

That's what I'm thinking! Keep it running forever!

Jason said...

I won't get near my car. I'm not mechanically inclined, and I'm afraid if I touch it, it'll break. A few weeks ago it died in the middle of rush hour traffic in the middle of the road. Good luck on getting it fixed.

PJ Hoover said...

Welcome back, Jason! Does this mean you won't come fix my car?
How about my dryer?

Jim D said...

Dryer squeak: Could be a slipping belt, the motor itself or or one of the things the motor/belt turns that is squeaking. Dryers are pretty straight forward, so if you know anyone with "engineer" attached to their name, they should be able to handle it. :-)

Cars -- they're too complicated.

Jim D (who is nowhere near Austin)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Jim! Hopefully the biggest part of it will be figuring out how to get the cover out of the way once I remove it.

Jason said...

Probably won't come to fix your car. Dryer...prolly not. The last thing I tried to fix was my roommates whisle/tiny flashlight. I lost the battery, tore the wires out by accident, and broke the whistle. I'm not mechanically inclined.

PJ Hoover said...

Oh well. I hope you never get lost in the dark, Jason!