"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The best time to edit

OK, so I started and finished The Emerald Tablet yesterday in two sittings. Why is it so easy to read our own stuff? And I only found the overwhelming urge to mark up a few things in the ARC (which I did in pencil). Some misspellings. Lots of missing commas (didn't even bother to mark these yet). And one horrible transition. Hope I can fix that one.

So just now I opened the last draft I have for NOTW (book 2). It has been over a year since the last time I edited it. A year! Wow. Honestly, I can't believe it. But I did have book 3 (TN) going on along with the book I'm now agented for (T). So it's not like I've been idle. And thinking about it, I'm thinking this is the perfect time to edit NOTW. No hold on anything in the past. Almost like a fresh, clean start!

6 comments:

Christine M said...

Good luck on the editing of book 2. You're right - you're fresh enough now to really be able to go in and give it a good going over.
Can't wait to see what you do with it!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! I can't wait to see either :)

Working Mom said...

"I'm thinking..?" Today I sat through a presentation by an established litigator (and an excellent speaker). He said "I think" a couple of times and I thought of you. I realized that some people say "I think" when they state opinions. Translation: "In my opinion..."

PJ Hoover said...

Ack! Caught in the act! See. It's a hard habit to break. It is an "in my opinion" but in this case, not really necessary! Thanks, Working Mom!

TJBrown said...

It is odd when you go back and edit stuff you haven't looked at in ages. I actually love doing it because I know I've grown as a writer.
teri

PJ Hoover said...

Exactly, Teri! Which is right in line with your post from today!