"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Deep in

So I'm deep in revisions. Honestly, sometimes it's hard to think about anything else. I've had fun putting some new scenes in, changing others, developing characters more, tying plot lines together.
Sounds like basic stuff, I know. I should have caught it myself :)

I headed over to Amazon today to order a few books on writing:

How to Write a Damn Good Novel: A Step-by-Step No Nonsense Guide to Dramatic Storytelling by James Frey

How to Grow a Novel: The Most Common Mistakes Writers Make and How to Overcome Them by Sol Stein

Stein On Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies by Sol Stein.

Yes, I know I have this last one, but I have the audiobook version. It's good enough I want the paper copy also.

While there, I noticed a cover, description, and author bio had been put up for The Emerald Tablet. The age range is wrong (it's for 10-14, not 4-8 year-olds), but getting the cover up is an accomplishment. I should have ARCs at TLA in a couple weeks. Truthfully, I'm really excited to see them. It's one thing to print out a bunch of pages at home. I think it will be another entirely to see them bound together with a pretty cover and my name on the front.

OK, off to revise.

9 comments:

Christine M said...

How exciting!

Good luck with the revisions!

Sara Latta said...

Great! I also like Sol Stein's books a lot; I learned about him when I was studying narrative nonfiction. I think he's terrific. And I think that Amazon often gets the reader ages wrong; I noticed it first when Stella Brite came out, and then I started noticing that they often got it wrong for other books. I think there is a place on their website where you can go to get that corrected, although as I remember it took awhile.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris. You have fun with yours.

Hey Sara! I think I can email in a correction. Or maybe it will boost sales to have it be for even younger readers. You think?

Sara Latta said...

Well, it's my guess that if potential buyers for your MG book on Amazon see it categorized in the 4-8 category, they're going to think picture book. And I'd be afraid that that would steer a large portion of your target audience--book-buying relatives as well as kids--away from your book. We know that kids do not want to read "down," but most book-buying relatives do not want to buy down either.

PJ Hoover said...

Yep, my thoughts too, Sara!

HipWriterMama said...

Must be very cool to see your book on Amazon!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey HWM, it is! When I tell people I've written a book, it's normally one of the first questions out of there mouth. "Is it on Amazon?"

Kaleb said...

Good luck with the revisions! Those ARC's are going to be a thrill for you to finally get to look at.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kaleb! I'm sure I'll take a picture and post it! OK, I'll probably take a bunch of pictures.