"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

How to make money

And other fun things from my day.

This morning? I figured out what to use the dryer drum for. Metal recycling. Yes, big sigh of relief from my mom who I'm sure thought I would put it in the backyard and plant flowers in it. (I was tempted). Instead, my husband and I shoved it in the back of my car in three pieces and I took it up to the metal recycling plant. Seven dollars later, I no longer have a dryer in the driveway.
When I got there, they asked, "Do you want us to pay you for it?"
"Yes," I said.
Then another guy asked the same question.
I asked, "Doesn't everyone want to get paid?" OK, maybe this is the cheap engineer in me asking the question.
I mean, duh. Money is money.
But apparently not.
The way I figure, I didn't have to pay the $16 haul away fee, and I made $7. In my books, that's a $23 gain.
After seeing the metal recycling plant, I see the appeal. Not quite as cool as a junkyard, but a huge pile of treasures, nonetheless.

Another highlight after my $7 windfall, included a visit with my editor at BookPeople here in Austin. She tells me my ARCs will be ready for TLA, and Wednesday is the day to be there. I'm looking forward to seeing what these library conferences are all about along with scoring some free books.
She also mentioned the Spiderwick Cronicles Day Camp sponsered by BookPeople. A possibility for my son? I'll have to check the summer catalogue. He hadn't read the Spiderwick Chronicles yet, but I'm sure they'll be on the list soon.
And Tuesday, May 6th at 4pm? The BookPeople release party for Rick Riordan's Battle of the Labyrinth. Will we be there? Um, heck yes!

8 comments:

chatteringbee said...

Battle of the Labyrinth is being released? Yay! It feels as if I just read the last one (which is kind of true since my library's slow). :)

carla said...

I have a dream that some day I can get yer editor to return an email.

TJBrown said...

I am excited to read an arc... and glad you got rid of the dryer drum!
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Chatteringbee! It is hard to believe. But somehow these books make it to the top of my TBR stack.

Carla. :)

Teri, now that it's gone, I'm glad too! Just like giving stuff to Goodwill. You'll be happy when you longer have it sitting around. And Thanks on the ARC!

keri mikulski :) said...

I'm picturing the flowered dryer. ;) Very exciting about the ARC's! Congrats!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! A project with the dryer drum would have been fun. I'll have to appease myself by painting our propane tank this summer. I'm thinking ladybug, but my daughter suggested a crocodile.

HipWriterMama said...

Yay for arcs!

PJ Hoover said...

Yay, indeed!