"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Salvaging stuff

I'm fifty pages in to my revisions on NOTW. Not bad considering I've completely rewritten the first few chapters, tied in a new plot element, removed a couple more plot elements, renamed characters, removed characters, and added a whole new location.

And can you say backstory? Given that this is the second in a series, I'm yanking out as much backstory as I can, seeding tiny bits here and there, and then will go back and add more as needed. Way easier to add more after the revisions are done.

And another thing I notice I did a lot of back when I revised this last. Crafty tags. Way too many people exclaimed in this draft. Or suggested. Or cried. I'm changing them all to "said".

Like I said (or suggested, or exclaimed), now is definitely the time to edit.

I have to laugh as I read through some of the stuff. How many things have I read and thought, "now how is that relevant to the story?" or "does anyone really care?"
I love that I'm at a point where I can do this! I know where I'm going. Now I can just have fun getting there!

So how about out there? Revisions going well? First drafting?

4 comments:

Christine M said...

Sounds like you're making great progress on you revision! Good for you!
As for me - it feels like I'm always in revisions. It is definitely easier once you know where you're going!

PJ Hoover said...

I am amazed at how much stuff I'm ripping out, Chris. If only I had the patience to wait a year between revisions on everything.

keri mikulski :) said...

You go! Great progress..

Revising an in-between book and first drafting my sequel to SCREWBALL. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! Fun to have an in-between book. It's nice to take a break.