"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Feel the Fear, and Do it Anyway

They say you should do one thing each day that scares you. OK, so I'm not sure who "they" are or why they'd think such an insane thing, but, regardless, the expression stuck somewhere in my mind.

And thus, at the start of the day, I vowed to do this.



And this.


Note: These are real. The scorpion is from Africa and will grow to be a foot long. The rose-hair tarantula is from Chile, and was by far the creepier of the two. It crawled all the way up my arm.

When the party started, I told everyone of my intentions. "Do not let me chicken out," I said.

So what did you do today that pushed your limits?

11 comments:

RR2 said...

hmmm..I don't think I did anything that pushed my limits today. I think I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow though.

Wow, though. I might-might- have been able to deal with a scorpion creeping up my arm but a tarantula?!

Christine M said...

Well, I hosted a First Communion party in the backyard for 40 people, while rain threatened. Does that count?

You are a braver person than I am, I don't intend to intentionally let either a scorpion or a tarantula anywhere near me!

I'm guessing the party went well?

HipWriterMama said...

That just sends shivers up my back. You are one brave woman. Did the kids get to hold them too?

Your kids must think you're so cool.

PJ Hoover said...

Sounds good, RR2. I'll have to check back with you to see if you pushed your limits!

The party went great, Chris. And yes, I'd say the First Communion party counts. It's like mild preparation for when your kids get married.

HWM, the kids were so way braver than me. Even the 3-year-olds had their hands out there waiting to hold the things!

beth said...

I didn't do ANYTHING that made me feel fear today...all I did was take medicine and stay in bed with a stupid bout of strep! Trust me, I'd MUCH rather be hanging out with spiders and scorpions than coughing anymore!

Working Mom said...

I helped my Brownie troop bait their hooks with real, live worms! Every one of the girls caught a fish and my Daughter caught 5 fish.

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, Beth, I hope you feel better. Rest up and save your bravery task for tomorrow!

Working Mom, you totally win the prize. Baiting hooks with live worms is uber-yucky! We missed you!

keri mikulski :) said...

Yikes.. You are one brave author! :)

Today, I'm going shopping with my 2 1/2 year old. VERY SCARY! :)

PJ Hoover said...

Shopping with a 2-1/2 year old is scary, Keri! Hopefully they have a Pretzel store at the mall!

carla said...

FUN!

so bummed we missed.

now how do you look so calm composed and pretty in those photos?

Id be freaking out.

PJ Hoover said...

Carla, the two beers I had prior to the scorpion and tarantula really helped! And you are way tough, Mizfit. No way you'd freak out!
Not to mention I didn't want to look like a scaredy-cat in front of the kids!