"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, May 09, 2008

Five on a Friday

It's Friday again, and the good news is our weekend is pretty calm. A playdate today. Another tomorrow. Sunday? Yard work? Maybe a hike in the woods?

Here's five exciting things from the week gone by (or going by):

1) I got my Smurfs for the year. They're one of the few things I still collect, and the best thing about them is they're reasonable. Each year about 8 new ones are put out. So look at these guys! Even Gargamel and Azriel seem to be having fun at this party! Like Smurfs? Check out Puffins. Or, if your local in Austin, Toy Joy keeps them in stock along with a gazillion other cool things.


2) Airfare prices dropped, and I snagged tickets to Virginia for $230 a piece! Is this good? YES. I'd been looking at $450 as an average before that. The secret to getting good airfare? Start checking early and check every morning and night. And use Kayak.

3) First revision on NOTW - DONE. And now I'm going through again. The major changes are in place, so now it's a matter of continually adding all those fun things that make people want to read it over and over and stand in line for the next one (this is called visualization).

4) I read the greatest ARC I picked up from TLA. Madapple by Christina Meldrum. Honestly, it was so great I still plan to buy the real book when it comes out on May 18th. Highly recommended.

5) I painted my daughter's face and hair like Medusa for the Battle of the Labyrinth release party at BookPeople. She's all about the dressing up, and sat patiently while I put 10 snakes (ponytails) in her hair.

Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

HipWriterMama said...

You are a writing machine! Send some of your first draft writing juju my way.

Have fun at the Battle of Labyrinth party. Rick Riordan is here tomorrow, so I am hoping my nine-year-old will have the patience to wait in line. Your daughter must look so cute as Medusa!

keri mikulski :) said...

I used to have those smurfs.. What the heck did I do with them? Enjoy your weekend! I'm off with a press pass to watch TEAM USA (softball) play Washington in Maryland. Yay! I'm so excited!!

PJ Hoover said...

Juju coming at you, HWM! No way my kids waited in the autograph line. But I hope yours do!

Keri, find the smurfs! And have a great time watching the softball! Wow, a press pass. So cool!

Raven said...

How'd you get an ARC? I'd love to be able to read books before they came out!!

Raven said...

PS-- I'm beth! On my husband's computer and forgot to log off again!

HipWriterMama said...

We got our books signed!!!! Happy Mother's Day!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Beth! I went to TLA (Texas Library Association) conference last month and got a TON of free ARCs. Oodles of them! And good ones too.

Yay, HWM! Glad you got them signed!

Sheri said...

Hey PJ,
Can you blog more about Visualization? I would like to hear more about this part of the revision process for you.

I don't think I will EVER finish my book at this point.

Oh and what are ARC's? I thought you were saying you read a book with a great arc in it... DUH. Enlighten me please!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Sheri! You will definitely finish books! And here's a good example of visualizing it - imagine yourself finishing it! And say "I'm so happy I finished my book!"
That's the way I visualize. Always positive on what I want.
ARCs are Advanced Reader Copies. I got a bunch at the Texas Library Conference last month. They are printed up ahead of time and sent out to reviewers and librarians and places like that!

Sheri said...

Oh cool about the ARCs.

And is that all you meant about the visualization process in your revision process?

I visualize myself on Oprah talking about my book everyday! HAHAHAHA. sad, but true...