"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, May 16, 2008

Five on a Friday

Happy week to everyone! Hope you had a great one. All good things here, and I'm looking forward to a (relaxing) weekend of camping, birthday parties, and dance classes.

So here's my five for the week:

1) My son started reading The Emerald Tablet. He's already on page 80, which is quite an accomplishment for a 7-year-old. The best part? He's starting to use words like "teleport" and "telekinesis" in every day conversation. Example: Mom, since we'll be camping this weekend, we can teleport to church." Love it!

2) I got together with fellow writers Jane Peddicord and Erin Edwards yesterday for our own mini plotting workshop. We watched Blockbuster Plots and spent time working on our current WIPs. Jane also made us a fantastic lunch!

3) My tent rocks. Did I mention that? It sleeps 8 and has a screened in patio. No shower; I'm still trying to figure that one out.

4) I'm an official Field Day volunteer up at the elementary school today. First and third graders - here I come. "Run faster!" "Jump Higher!"

5) I'm almost done with Pretties by Scott Westerfeld. Have you read the series? Any thoughts? The plot definitely picks up toward the end of this one, and I can't wait to finish.

Have a great weekend. Do something fun! Do something productive! Write! Just do something!

12 comments:

Christine M said...

Enjoy field day. The field day at our school has pretty much morphed into a carnival.

Very cool that your son is reading The Emerald Tablet (my kids are anxiously waiting for October so they can read it)

Teleporting to church sounds like the a good plan to me.

A tent with a screened porch. Awesome. Can't help with the shower thing though.

Have a great weekend.

beth said...

I'm anxiously waiting for October so I can read it!

About the Pretties books...I really liked the first one, but I didn't like it as much after she turned pretty herself. Her attitude made me not like the books as much.

RR2 said...

I'm anxiously waiting for October so I can read your book, too!

On the Pretties books..I loved the first three (the first one's my favourite though). The fourth one was pretty good,although I didn't like it as much as the first three.

keri mikulski :) said...

Happy Friday! Great week. Have a great weekend.

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Chris! Field day was fun, and much like a carnival, but the kids had a ball. And just think, if you could teleport to church, no more worrying about backing up in the church parking lot.

Thanks, Beth! The first one was fantastic. I thought the plot was very slow in the second one, but now I'm excited to get to the end.

Thanks, also, RR2! On the Pretties books, I'm still trying to figure out what the fourth one is about. Let's just say the cover blurb says almost nothing. So I guess that means it's piqued my interest.

Happy Friday to you, Keri! Have a great weekend!

Patty P said...

Your child is reading your book...can't think of ANYTHING more thrilling. Congratulations!

Vivian said...

Did you like the DVD of Blockbuster Plots? I bought the book about a month ago but haven't worked through everything yet.

That is so fun your son is reading your book. He must think you're the coolest!

carla said...

very cool Z is reading your book.

and the pretties? on my list.

sounds as though it is worth it.
Im currently reading (and hiding. as I was loathe to give him the money :) but still think he is BEYOND talented) James I WAS DRESSED DOWN BY OPRAH ON LIVE TV Freys new one.

Amy said...

I would love to see a picture of that tent. We have to buy a new tent this year. Boys are too big to shove everyone into a 4-man tent.

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Patty! I am really happy he's reading it. And the best part is he's so happy to be reading it. He's such an awesome kid!

Hey Vivian! I did like the DVD. I'd actually consider buying it myself (one of the other girls bought it) so I could readily watch it again. Good to be reminded of stuff over and over.

Hey Carla! I admit I bought JF How to Write a Damn Good Novel. Haven't read it yet, but I will in the next month or two!

Hi Amy! I did take a picture and plan to post it tomorrow! It was beautiful and actually not too hard to put up. And really nice and big.

Jim D said...

Did you designed a teleportation chip? COOL!

Seriously cool that your son is reading your book.

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Jim, I did. But then I figured I should quit work before my company took credit for it and I got a $50 patent bonus.