"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, May 12, 2008

New Week. New Goals.

I'm thinking the title "Five Goals on a Monday" may get old. But the important thing to keep in mind is that setting goals should never get old. Think about goals every day. Set new ones regularly. I've noticed with myself whenever I stop thinking about them for a time, many things in my life slip. And it's a slippery slope.

So get on it. Set your Monday goals, and get to work!

Here's what I have planned for the week.

1) Test for my brown belt in Kung Fu. That's right. No more brightly colored greens an blues and yellows. If all goes according to plan, on Wednesday I test.

2) Buy a tent. The Hoover family is off for a Cub Scout camp out this weekend, and my son specifically requested a big tent. Actually at this point we have no tent, so anything is better than nothing. But Academy, here I come.

3) In the never ending quest for fun, I plan to buy Guitar Hero for the Wii this week.
*Side note - when kids come over for playdates, the Wii is a super popular item. And remember - kids are all about fun.

4) How about a writing goal. Another round on NOTW. I know, boring. Been there for the last couple weeks. But after this go through, I'll give it one more, then let it sit. But because writing goals are fun, I'm getting together with a couple other authors on Thursday to watch a DVD on plotting. Fun because I get to hang out with other writers and fun because it should help me improve!

5) Actually shower in my redone (or being redone) guest bathroom. The shower faucet is in. I need to caulk. Touch up paint. But it's getting there.

Have a great week, and share a goal!

14 comments:

keri mikulski :) said...

I love the 'fun' goals..

Goal - Keep writing the sequel to SCREWBALL. ;)

Have a great week!

PJ Hoover said...

Fun is important, Keri! I need to have more!
Have a great week, too. And good writing energy coming your way :)

Amy said...

We were going to buy Guitar Hero for Wii, but then 13 pointed out that Rock Band for Wii is due to release in June. So we'll wait.

Huh, we have to buy a bigger tent, too! But not yet. No tent-required scout outings until late summer.

Good luck on your goals.

PJ Hoover said...

Hmmm, Amy, so you think I should wait for Rock Bank. OK, time to reassess. :)
Oddly, I'm exciting about getting a big tent. That or sleeping in it with the whole family zipped in!
Thanks!

Sheri said...

What's the name of the DVD you'll be watching on plot?

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Sheri! It's called Blockbuster Plots: Plot Workshop for Writers of Children's and Young Adult Fiction. One of my friends bought it and we're getting together to watch it. I'll let you know how it is!

Working Mom said...

Today, I fired my cleaning lady. Goal for the week: clean the house (or find a new cleaning lady).

Can I come over and play the Guitar Hero or Rock Band?
Goal for June: Buy Rock Band

You need to camp with the Girl Scouts-- we "camped" in cabins.

PJ Hoover said...

You did! (I mean the cleaning lady). Wow. Can't wait for details. Friday, right???
And yes, when we get Rock Band or Guitar Hero, you have an open invite! You and I ought to be awesome. 80s music lovers unite.
We do have air mattresses, though cabins do sound nice. But I did practice up by holding that tarantula and scorpion last week.

Sheri said...

Yeah, the girl scouts here camp in cabins too - NJ. I guess they think boy scouts are tougher.

PJ Hoover said...

But what about Boy Scout moms? re we supposed to be tough?

Working Mom said...

The women are just smarter!

PJ Hoover said...

No disagreement here, Working Mom!

Sheri said...

Boy Scout Moms can be whatever they want to be... tough-and-rugged-tent-campers, semi-commited-to-the-experience-I'm-only-doing-this-for-my-daughter-cabin campers, or want-to-be-pampered-sleep-in-a-bed-&-breakfast-non-camper-campers!

Which one am I??? I perfer the tents, personally - (or the b&b). I know my tent is clean. I know my sleeping bag and pillow are clean. Those cabins... they are dirty, never been cleaned, bug crawling, old, dusty matresses, don't want to put my big toe in the shower gross - at least the NJ ones are.

Besides I can't sleep in a cabin without thinking about Jason and that scary, dark lake. Was that Friday the 13th???

PJ Hoover said...

Oooh, thanks, Sheri! I will have to pack some ghost stories to take with me :) My tent (when I buy it tomorrow) will be awesome! And on sale. And huge. (Again - visualization!)
But really, I could sleep anywhere!