"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Plotting my next steps

Finished revisions for NOTW! Yay! And last night I emailed them off to my editor.
So now I begin the major plot revision for T2 (I like this nickname. It's like Terminator 2, but then again, it's not).
Here are two things I plan to focus on in this revision.

1) Directly from the DVD - Make sure the plot is connected and not episodic. What's the difference?
In episodic, each event happens and it is not really related or dependent on the events before it.

So what's connected? Each event is directly related to the events before it and builds on what has happened and the stakes are increased with each event.

The DVD gave this (very simple) example:

Episodic:
The king died. The queen died.

Connected:
The king died. The queen died of grief.

This got me thinking about the revisions I was currently working on (NOTW). The changes I was making were way more connected than the previous version. This is good, and I plan to do the same for T2.

2) OK, I admit I nabbed this one from Angie Frazer's blog from yesterday.
Really analyze my MC's goal and focus on the conflict of him reaching that goal. And keep this conflict going strong throughout the whole novel, making sure he yearns for his goal the whole time.
In planning, I came up with motivations for all my characters. But at this point (over a month from the last time I looked at it), I'm wondering if my MC's motivation and goals are enough? Is there enough conflict to keep him from reaching them?


These two are good for now. It's enough to wrap my mind around for at least a month.

11 comments:

TJBrown said...

Ah yes, the GMC! Keeping it current in the story is always a problem for me. keeping the external and internal GMC can be challenging... especially since I tend to figure all that out and then forgoet all about it and just write the story... I get focused on each individual scene and space pff the overall story arc. Writing is tough!
Teri

TJBrown said...

Ah yes, the GMC! Keeping it current in the story is always a problem for me. keeping the external and internal GMC can be challenging... especially since I tend to figure all that out and then forgoet all about it and just write the story... I get focused on each individual scene and space pff the overall story arc. Writing is tough!
Teri

Vivian said...

Wow, Tricia! You're moving along quite nicely. You go!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Teri! That seems to be what happened! I planned it all out ahead of time, but then focused on each scene instead of the overall.
This is why revision is good :)

Thanks, Vivian (wait - did you change your name from HWM?)! I attempt to remain very optimistic on revisions!

Amy said...

Yeah, getting those connected plots is a MUST.

Good luck with revisions. I love revisions.

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Amy! I love revisions, too. Especially when I feel like I have direction on what to do!

keri mikulski :) said...

Good stuff.. Thanks for the tips.. I agree with Teri - writing is tough. Back to work.

Patty P said...

Character motivation. It's a biggie and one of the hardest elements of writing for me. Haven't really figured out what my protagonist's GMC is in my current YA but spent many drafts fine tuning it in my MG.
Glad you're ahead of the game.

PJ Hoover said...

You're welcome, Keri! Hope your writing is going well!

LOL, Patty! I thought I'd planned it all out, but now I'm itching to get back and change things. Still, it's all part of the process :)

beth said...

I'm starting to realize that I need to do more focus on motivation with my characters, too. I took a closer look at my heroine's sidekicks recently and realized that their motivations were all determined by me based on the heroine's motivations. I.e., I needed a character to want/do/feel a certain way just so I could get my heroine to react in another certain way. I'm working now on making them all more individual.

PJ Hoover said...

Exactly, Beth! Sometimes I think "Oh, I'll skip the character worksheet" but I always end up going back and doing it if for nothing else but true motivation for all!