"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Plotting the next move

Yesterday HipWriterMama had an excellent post on plotting. Lots of people commented on how they plot, how they build structure, or how they do neither.

I try to plot around a basic Hero's Journey structure. To me, the most important parts of this plot structure are the Doorways of no return: two points (or however many you want) during the novel when the protagonist (hero) is put into some sort of conflict, and can no longer turn back.

And because Beth asked yesterday, I've posted my plot structure to my website here.

Happy plotting!

7 comments:

Christine M said...

Thank you for posting this!

PJ Hoover said...

Your welcome, Chris! Have fun with your revisions!

beth said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Since I am stuck in my current WIP, I'm going to try this strange 'outline' thing you speak of :)

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Beth! Hope you find what works for you! I'm just super organized by nature, so, for me, outlining makes tons of sense.

HipWriterMama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HipWriterMama said...

You are the coolest for sharing this. Are you okay if I add the link to this post on my blog?

PJ Hoover said...

Definitely, HWM!