"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, June 09, 2008

I feel famous

So at the Saturday Austin SCBWI meeting, they handed out these. Wow, that's me! The star on there makes me appear so glamorous I thought.

BTW, I didn't participate in the 48-hour reading challenge, but I did read one book over the weekend: The Adoration of Jenna Fox. Very good read. Totally not what I expected the book would be about. Like not at all. I kept thinking, "hey wait, this is science fiction."
Have you read it? What did you think?

And real fast - I got another 13 hour night out of my daughter. After swimming again. Same thing. Fell asleep on the sofa at 5:30PM. Slept until morning.

Today starts huge revisions on my WIP. I'm so excited. I have clear direction, lots to do, and am looking forward to it. Sometimes revisions can seem so exhausting, but really, it's no different than the start of writing a brand new book. You think "Wow, how many words to I need to write?" But day after day, hour after hour, and the words add up quickly.
Same with revisions. It is a lot to do, but by the end of today, I'll have taken a huge bite out of it.

So instead of five goals for the week, I give you... Oh, OK, I'll go with five. Not for my loyal readers, but to keep myself honest!

1) Work on revisions for WIP - T2:KOS. I won't put a "get through it once" or a "get halfway through" because I have to do what is right. I can't rush it.

2) List out web content I need to come up with and put a date by each item when I'll be done.

3) Go through kids toys (while they are both at camp) and get rid of the Oriental Trading Company stuff and other random c**p. Also go through kid's clothes.

4) Get form notarized about random credit card theft! Seriously, all this person did was sign up for a bunch of clubs (Netflix, Blockbuster) under a fake name. What's the point? Do they then get videos mailed to them, and if so, wouldn't that be totally traceable? People are strange. And not all nice.

5) Find 20 things to give to charity around the house.
Note: Toys will count as 1.

It's a good week to clean out and give stuff away. Make it a goal! Decluttering helps clear the mind and makes everything better! Even revisions, I hope :)

Happy Monday!

19 comments:

Christine M said...

Sounds like great goals for the week!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! Want to join me on the Goodwill challenge?

beth said...

Thanks for the book rec! I'll check it out.

And the poster looks brilliant!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Beth. I would recommend the book. Interesting is really the best word to describe it.

Patty P said...

Cool poster! Wow! A real author. Sigh.
Good luck with the writing.

Amy said...

I'm introducing the 27-thing fling to 9 this week. Each day he must get rid of 27 things in his room. Believe me, there's enough garbage in there for this to take WEEKS.

I'm so right there with ya on #3.

Great poster.

Have a great week and dig into those revisions (my personal favorite part of the process).

Kelly said...

You ARE famous :)

I'm into the Goodwill challenge, but not this week. This week is recovery + The Edge of the Forest week. Next week?

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Patty! You think it makes me look like a real author? Good luck to you on the writing also! And the reading. You did great!

Yay for the 27 thing, Amy! That's a great idea to give kids a number and have them find that many things. A good charity sweep is much like good revisions. Toss the crap so you can see what's worthwhile.

Kelly, you're on for a raincheck. Next week. Goodwill sweep. TEOTF should come before this anyway!

carla said...

woo hoo!
I remember that photo.

see you thurs.

C.

keri mikulski :) said...

Nice poster. :) Kaci sleeps a ton after the beach. It must be the water. :)

Sheri said...

PJ, do you ever not complete all your top five things in a week? Some of them are very time consuming and so I wonder... does PJ Hoover ever NOT finish a list... Inquiring blogger minds want to know...

There's nothing like swimming to tucker the heck out of kids. Note for the future... when they get older, it just makes them starving every five minutes! (and their friends too)

Sheri said...

Oh and great brochure they passed out about you! The star does bring a bit of glam, doesn't it!

PJ Hoover said...

Funny, Carla! And he told me I needed to wear a bright color. I think I'll stick with the photo for the next ten years.

Yep, Keri. And all the kicking! She insists on using this little tube and kicks around the pool in it.

LOL, Sheri! This is post-worthy. I almost never get the list done!
And the star cracked me up when I saw it! Like I'm a "super-star". Too funny.

Janet Fox said...

Hi PJ - I really enjoy your blog and think your website is terrific.

I've just added your web address to my links list!

And thanks for the comment about voice - that one made me proud, since I've been struggling with it for ever.

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you so much, Janet!!! At some point I'll get around to doing a better links list and do the same!
And I laugh at the voice thing. Agents and editors always say they're looking for voice, and writers pull their hair out thinking "But what is that? I have voice."

Vivian said...

Nice poster! Very glamorous. Good luck with your revisions!

I'm in for the decluttering in a couple weeks. I need to get the teacher gifts and organize an end-of-the-school year party this week.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Vivian!
And Yay for decluttering.

Debby G said...

Ooh, I'm reading Jenna Fox right now. So good! Mary Pearson's a pal. She's so nice, but her book sure seems creepy!

I'm glad you don't always meet your goals. Otherwise I'd have to hate you. I have a to-do list that never gets completed. Sigh.

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Debby, it was so creepy but so good. And for whatever reason, I had no idea going in it was science fiction. Which really is the best way to read it.
And life would be boring if I always met my goals. Where would the fun be?