"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, June 05, 2008

If you think you should do something...

... then 9 times out of 10, you should.

You know the things I'm talking about. There things that come along in life and put you out of your comfort zone. You wonder whether you should make a phone call, send an email, confront a situation. You think about it. You put it off. You even ask your spouse, almost hoping they'll talk you out of it so you won't be put in that uncomfortable zone.

Well here's the secret. These are exactly the kinds of things you should do. Not only are they normally the right things to do, these are what make you grow as a person and help you become more than you currently are.
And isn't this what we all want? To grow toward reaching our goals?

And because it's nice to tie everything to writing, why not think about this for your characters also? Make your characters go beyond themselves and grow.


On a side note: Is chocolate considered a "natural food"? Because let me tell you, I'm seriously wanting some over here. Must stop at H-E-B tomorrow. I got a coupon in the mail for a free Starbucks Chocolate Sampler, and it's calling my name.

Second sidenote: My daughter fell asleep at 5:30 pm tonight. It's now 10:55 pm. Any guesses on what time she'll wake up?

8 comments:

Amy said...

Your daughter is a teen, right? She'll wake up tomorrow morning. Maybe. ;)

You're absolutely right about gut instinct leading us toward a path we need to walk (and since I love to torture characters, I always send them where the DON'T want to go, but NEED to go).

keri mikulski :) said...

Great stuff, PJ.. You just gave me a great idea for my WIP.

beth said...

They way I see it: as an author, I create the events that the characters react to.

Your post inspired me so much that I had to make a post of my own about characters on my blog! Thanks!

Vivian said...

So did the little one wake up early, early?

You're so right about letting the characters stretch and grow. Here's to interesting situations!

And, uh, yes....chocolate is considered a natural food. Isn't dark chocolate is supposed to be an antioxidant? :-)

Sarah Rettger said...

Ooh, your chocolate question reminded me that I picked some up in California as a prize for a contest that didn't happen.. so it came home with me. Must do something about that before the warm weather arrives tomorrow :-)

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Amy! She's actually 3, but the mere thought of her as a teen frightens me.
I love the "gut instinct" description for this. Do what your gut says to do!

Hey Keri, after I wrote this, I thought about it at night, and gave myself a great idea too!

Hi Beth, I'll have to pop over and read your post (I always love your posts). And as writers we create events which make our characters uncomfortable, and thus grow!

Hey Vivian, it was 6:30 this morning totally 13 hours of sleep. One quick potty break in there. I'd say you've created interesting situations for PB!

Hi Sarah, feel free to mail the chocolate to me. I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands for you. But as it is 100 degrees here, pack it with ice :) Welcome home!

laurasmagicday said...

I SO agree. Doing things out of our comfort zone is how we grow! That would be part of the challenge of my road trip with Candy. I've never hit the open road before, not like this, in an epic type way. So...I'm crossing epic road trip off my list of things to do, in a few weeks when we get back home:)

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Laura. You gals are like Thelma and Louise. But not doing anything illegal. But really inspirational too! Have fun.