"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, June 02, 2008

June Ahead - Catch it now!!!!!

School's out. Summer is here (OK, we are talking Texas here. It's been in the 90s for the last couple weeks). I've got weeks with both kids home. Weeks with both kids at camp. Weeks traveling.
So instead of weekly five goals (though they're always good), I'm going with a broader scope this time around. I'm looking at June. I'm dividing up my summer in chunks. June 30th I leave for a few weeks to visit the 'rents in VA, so before then, here are my major goals to accomplish.

1) Plan out a speech on time management and goal setting I'm giving in July at our SCBWI meeting. I'll start like this:
Step 1. Make a list of goals :)

2) Nail down my web content for my trilogy website. Because, you know, middle graders shouldn't be on MySpace, but they should be able to check out a great book website!

3) Read a bunch of submissions for a workshop I'm attending at the end of the month. There are something like 30 submissions I need to read, and, oddly enough, I can't wait! I'm so excited to get such a great peek at so many author's critique submissions.

4) Really bust a move on revisions for T2-KOS. At this point, I don't believe I'll make it through one whole time; there are just way too many changes I want to make. And it seems like the more planning I do, the more planning I need to do.

5) House stuff - Finish my guest bathroom. All I need is a faucet. And hooking it up of course. Oh, and towel racks and toilet paper holder and stuff like that. Plan patio cover. If I write "Make patio cover" would that be way too optimistic?

6) Eat as many natural foods as I can (OK, I admit the irony of this as I sit here drinking a Diet Coke). Soda doesn't count.

So here you go. Divide your summer into chunks, and plan the first one today.
And, as always, have a great week!

14 comments:

Sheri said...

Sounds good to me! Chunks can be useful. Our summer hasn't officially begun yet. School's not out in the east until mid to late June. Our school's last day is June 17! My sister's is even later. Private schools are done.

I never get too much done from here to September. So I will try the chunky method...

PJ Hoover said...

Chunky is good, Sheri. Chunky shoes. Chunky bars. Chunky summers.
I do love that Texas gets out so early. Last year we hit Disney before the crowds. I have the Disney itch again, but will have to wait to scratch it.
Chunk it!

Sheri said...

I know. WE went to Disney two years ago. I would love to go away again and to Disney. But we will have to visit Club Oshins this summer instead. At least my lat name sound like you are going to the beach (pronounced oceans).

April Afloat said...

So nice to hear from you. Thanks for your kind words. I love the pages you submitted for Cyn's writefest. Wow!

PJ Hoover said...

Sheri, I love the Club Oshins thing. Makes me want to come visit.

Thanks for visiting, April, and for the nice words! The submission is for book 2 in a series so I really want to make sure it will hook people who haven't read book 1. And not be confusing.

keri mikulski :) said...

Great list. You're right.. Summer is like a big chunk. There is so much to do. :)

Melissa Walker said...

I like the divide-and-attack plan. I may try natural foods tomorrow... after I finish this Oreo...

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Melissa. Two days in, and man does an Oreo sound yummy :)

PJ Hoover said...

There is a ton to do over summer, Keri. When did that happen? I remember summer as a kid just hanging by the pool doing nothing.
Deep breath...

laurasmagicday said...

OK....I'm inspired *chunking summer now* Good luck with the edits and reading the submissions! How exciting:)

PJ Hoover said...

You go on the chunking, Laura!
I think the first revision is always the easiest. There's just so much to be done!
And thanks :)

beth said...

My summer:

--take 18 kids to Europe
--go on 1st anniversary trip
--take 6 kids to yearbook camp
--go to conference in the mountains
--get ready for new school year.

Who says teachers have summers off!?

Dawn Buthorn said...

I have 4 major chunks to my summer, which, like Sheri, doesn't begin until June 17th.
Chunk 1: June 18-July 7 (Kids go to various camps)
I will: shop for misc. summer supplies
prepare to go to Vermont College (reading my workshop packet and books by faculty)
continue to work on my wip
lose 5 pounds?

Chunk 2: July 7-July 18 (hubby's got the kids)
I will: Go to Vermont College for an exciting and exhausting learning experience.
Come home completely wiped out, and totally inspired!

Chunk 3: July 19-July 31 (kids are still in various camps)
I will: work like a fiend to get as much of my first packet done before we go away on vacation.
pack/shop for vacation

Chunk 4: Aug. 1-Aug. 26 (?) Jersey Shore!!!!
I will: complete and send my first packet
begin my second packet
read a ton of books
work on my tan

You're right, PJ, this chunky thing is great!

PJ Hoover said...

Wow, Dawn, your chunks sound fantastic! So let me get this straight. You get to go away all by yourself with no kids hanging on your legs for how long? What did you promise hubby?