"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My lists. Your lists. That's step one.

Sheri asked a funny question earlier today. When I make my list of five goals on a Monday, do I always get everything done?
After I finished laughing, I replied. Not hardly!!!

The truth is I rarely get it all done. So why make the list then? What's the point?

1) Making a list of goals lets me know what I need to/want to accomplish. I actually have to sit and think about what needs to get done.

2) Once I have my list of goals, I can easily see which one(s) are the most important. Some have deadlines set externally, and these are normally the most important. Others have deadlines imposed by me.
Note: All goals should have deadlines. Deadlines can change.

3) When I finish something on the list, I get a huge sense of accomplishment crossing it off. When I don't finish something, I reassess how important it is, and adjust accordingly. I don't beat myself up if something doesn't get done. If it's really important, I do it. Why? Because I know I have to.


So as not to bore everyone to tears, I normally don't put the same goal down over and over. Otherwise you'd all be thinking, "Hasn't she finished that stinking guest bathroom yet?"
OK, you probably are thinking that. And no, I have not finished the guest bathroom yet. But it is getting done - little by little.
But as a note, the item does stay on my personal To Do list here at home.

So here's the question: Do you write down your goals, and if so, how often?

9 comments:

Working Mom said...

Well our children's bathroom isn't done yet either. The wallpaper is stripped, but so is the wallboard. Now we are in the process of spackling in thin layers. However, work is on hiatus for a week or two for various reasons. Meanwhile, the new light fixture is awaiting. It's a good thing we have 2 other bathrooms (who really needs 3 bathrooms anyway?).

Working Mom said...

By the way, I have never been a list maker. That is, I don't write my goals down. Rather, they hang around in my head, nagging me, day in and day out.

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Working Mom, maybe this is why we have so many bathrooms. So all except one critical one can be in various stages of remodeling glory.
The nagging of things I know I need to get done is what forces me to write them down. Once on paper, they don't seem so overwhelming.

Jim D said...

It's okay about the guest bathroom. My kitchen ceiling isn't done yet either -- I know how projects go.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Jim. That's what I keep telling myself.

keri mikulski :) said...

I should.. In fact, I really should. Maybe, I wouldn't think about them so much and the voices would stop. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Keri, it so helps make the voices go away. Without lists, things can seem a bit overwhelming!

beth said...

I tried to post before, but I guess it didn't go through!

Anyway, I don't bother with lists, not even grocery lists. I just lose them :)

PJ Hoover said...

No lists, Beth??? Once you get your Digital Voice Recorder you can make lists on there :)