"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Parties, Philosophy, and Pictures

Who knew we'd have a philosophical discussion over breakfast tacos at Rudy's this morning? Yes, it's a BBQ place, so meat was on the mind.
My son asks me, "Mom, if you got shot..."
pause...
"...and you were a cow..."
another pause. I look at my husband and bust out laughing.
"...would you want to be just dead or dead and eaten?"

I know my answer. What's yours?


Anyway, Saturday night was the big release party for Shana Burg. Her book A Thousand Never Evers had me almost in tears during the excerpt she read. Must find out what happens to the cat. Kind of scared to find out.
The party was great. Wine. Cheese. Books. People. And I even remembered to get some pictures.
(Yes, they are blurry - I had to macro setting turned on for my camera).

Here's me and my Blooming Tree Press editor, Madeline Smoot, holding the debut book. And wait - hold the presses. I have a new cover (almost). It's getting finalized and then I'll post. But let me just warn you - it rocks!


Here's, let's see, from left to right, Brian Yansky, Greg Leitich Smith, Cynthia Leitich Smith, Francis Hill Yansky, Me, and Jennifer Ziegler.


And here's me with the author of the day, Shana Burg. Does she look excited or what?

16 comments:

Kelly said...

First off, congrats to Shana! That book party looks like it was fun. The Leitich Smiths are such great community builders. I was happy to see them there.

Okay, now second: your son's question. I guess my question is...why was the cow shot?

If it was just an accident, then, yes, of course, I'd want to be "used" or brought back to the earth. But if I were raised for food and then shot, that's another question, isn't it?

I think kids this age think about these issues. My 7 year old is considering vegetarianism (sigh--only 'cause I'm a lazy cook). He last school essay in the 1st grade was "why cows are better than most people."

Watch yourself :) (Unless you're already vegetarian! Then you're golden.)

Working Mom said...

Funny question! Put a smile on my face this morning (and I haven't had my coffee yet).

Lenore said...

What could've happened to the cat? Nothing bad I hope!

PJ Hoover said...

All right, Kelly, I'll have to bring the subject back up and ask. He's 7, so I don't think it was an accident.
I'm far from vegetarian, but we did switch to organic meat, eggs, and milk. So it's a start. But here in Texas we have a saying - Seven days without meat makes one weak.

Hey Working Mom, it cracked me up. I was all ready to stop the conversation and then he inserted the "and you were a cow " part. Maybe he knew I was about the stop the conversation,

Hi Lenore, It maybe be a good book for you to review. Unless your a real cat fan. Then maybe not.

beth said...

HILARIOUS philosophy from your kid!! And what an awesome book event! Sometimes I feel like I live too far out in the country....my nearest neighbor is a goat. I need to move somewhere where there are book events and other authors and, you know, critiques who don't eat grass and walk on four legs...

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Beth, I bet the four-legged critiquers would be pretty honest though. It is fun living in such an active writing community, though. I get somewhere like NY is amazing.

keri mikulski :) said...

Congrats, Shana! And the question - hilarious. :)

PJ Hoover said...

So which would it be, Keri? Eaten and dead or just dead?

carla said...

youre so organized remembering the camera and all!


M.

PJ Hoover said...

You think so, Mizfit?
I take it with me everywhere but so seldom remember to get it out :)

Amy said...

I remember the day 9 made the connection between what swims in the fish tank and what was on our dinner plates. And no, we don't have salmon in our fish tank, but it was the general heading of "fish."

Isn't it interesting the connections kids come up with?

PJ Hoover said...

Amy, I kind of cringed as we watched Babe, but he seemed to take it pretty well. And actually had no problem with the whole ham thing even.

Vivian said...

The party looks so fun! Can't wait until you start having your book signing pictures up!

PJ Hoover said...

Me too, VIvian! It was a great release party. And helped give me ideas.
People like wine. And coke in bottles.

Sheri said...

A release party... with wine and cheese... Some day...

And now that I'm back in reality... I'm not sure how to answer your son's question... dead is bad enough AND eaten is just so, so... Alive... Did you ever see that movie, about the soccer players whose plan crashes in some snow capped mountain top and they were all dying one by one of starvation until one dying person says, "When I die, I want you all to eat my body..." I think the kids sitting in front of me in that dark theater had more fun watching my grimace then the movie screen...

I guess if I was a cow, I would hope my tenderloin would be tender and juicy...

PJ Hoover said...

I love that thought, Sheri. If I were a cow, I'd want my tenderloin to be tender and juicy. I'll have to file that one away.